Multi-Level Grouping / Tagging

Hi guys,

I’ve really come to love the grouping feature as it is a great way not only to structure the model, but also to simplify the formulas by just typing e.g. sum([group name]) as opposed to ([group member 1]+[group member 1]+…+[group member n]).

This comes in particularly handy if you later on add group members and don’t need to remember to update the formula in the group “header”.

It would be terrific, however, if it was possible to have multiple levels of groups and use the groups as well as sub-groups in just the same way.

Thanks & Regards
Fabian

1 Like

Hi guys,

what would be even more versatile would be to introduce tagging and allow for various actions on tagged items, such as:

• aggregations (sum / avg / min / max / etc)
  • view filtering (also relating to feature request Lock table/chart filter settings)
  • provided all tagged items are associated to the same (set of) categories: category-driven aggregations, groupings and filterings (just like with normal variables)

Thank you & Best Regards
Fabian

Hey Fabian - nice to hear from you :nerd_face:

We totally hear you on the need for more dynamic grouping/tagging of variables. We’re doing some product thinking around the best way to implement this, so will take your suggestions onboard and may reach out to chat further on it if need be.

As always - thank you for sharing your thoughts & suggestions!

1 Like

Hey Heidi,

glad to hear you’re on it already :slight_smile:

Another use case where tagging could come in tremendously handy is when traversing a P&L model into a cashflow model.

With the tags you could easily model things like different payment terms and also different VAT rates, just to name two.

It would really allow the modellers to break free of any boundaries and slice & dice data in endless ways.

In order to release the full potential of tagging, it would require a proper ruleset in the filter conditions though, e.g. “has tag X OR (has tag Y AND NOT tag Z)”

I’d do a somersault if that was possible :star_struck:

Cheers F

1 Like

I would love this feature too! While it it easy to get lost in too many levels when making groups, I would love to have the opportunity. I also agree that aggregate functions on groups are awesome, but they tend to come out a little wrong for me, which is why I made a post about aggregating group values.

Anyway, I actually think tagging might be the best part here. It would allow me to really quickly look at my total expenses and filter out or highlight different cost groups without having to remote and then add back those values from calculations (which easily leads to mistakes).

1 Like