Aggregating across groups

To make calculations easier I’ve grouped expenses and income into separate groups. There are a lot of dependencies in each of them. For instance, every employee has a bool providing access to different software, which in term adds to the costs per month. Same goes for salary. When I make calculations for each cost category individually (like Software, Salary etc.) I can chose to aggregate the data which is great. Unfortunately I can not tell a whole group to aggregate. As a result, I have to update all calculations that need every cost category involved every time i add a cost category.

Here’s an example:
What my formula would look like with group aggreagation:
cash = sum(income[current]) - sum(expenses[aggregate all categories]) //my income is not divided by categories)

Here’s what I have to do instead
cash = sum(income[current]) - (salary[aggregate][current] + software[aggregate][current] + hardware[aggregate][current] + … + otherExpenses[aggregate][current])

As you can see, every time I add a cost category I have to update the cash function. This applies to every similar situation for any sort of calculation based on groups that rely on categories.

This change would be really helpful!

Best

1 Like

Hey Sondre, thank you for the suggestion! That would definitely be an interesting feature. For now we recommend only grouping variables that have the same category (or no category). Then you can easily sum them with the formula sum(group) and the sum will have the same category as the variables in the group.

Hi,

I see! That makes sense for a lot of use cases, and it is pretty much what I’ve done as a work around. I’ve had variables that are in essence the aggregate of other variables or groups and then I use that as input into other calculations. It is a bit of a workaround though, so I would lose my s*** in gratitude if you were ever to allow aggregation of grouped values <3

Keep up the awesome work!

1 Like