How do I make my model work across different granularities?

I would like to have different variables that calculate values at different periods.

Some use cases would be to make models for :

• Products with different billing subscriptions
  • Hiring contractors on a weekly, monthly or annual basis depending on the needs
  • Seeing how different compounding periods affect the interest.
1 Like

Hey @Andrew_McCloud sounds like a great use case! You can use the dayOfMonth, dayOfWeek and month helper variables in a daily model for that. Here’s how you can go about it:

1. For adding values weekly, let’s say every Sunday, you can write something like if dayOfWeek = 0 then 1 else 0
  2. For adding values monthly, let’s say the first of every month, you can write something like if dayOfMonth = 1 then 1 else 0
  3. For adding values every year, let’s say on the first of Jan, you can write something similar to if month=1 and dayOfMonth=1 then 1 else 0

You can also use other helper variables like isChrismas,isThanksgiving etc to account for holidays. You can read more on these under “Functions” in the help menu to the top right.

I share this need/want, but I’m told that using linking models built on different timescales can lead to unexpected behaviors.